Wednesday, August 22, 2012

#2: Response to They Say


Katie Lybrook
ENG 102
8-23-12

Rushkoff provides many good points on what modern day media has become. He seems as though he really understands both sides as being a consumer and an advertiser. Rushkoff’s goal seems to be to sway the consumers away from being the media’s puppets, but I do not feel as though he fully swayed me to believe him.
Our whole lives we are going to be influenced by things around us, and I understand that he thinks that the media’s influence is a negative one. This is something that I cannot fully deny. But it is our human nature to be greedy and always want more. In my mind it is almost as though the media is trying to just make what we want at this moment more apparent to us. Yes, it is “them” who decide what we want to have at the moment, but if they just stopped I am convinced we would want it back. People would not know what to do with themselves; we almost need to be guided just to know what we want from the grocery store or what kind of clothes we buy.
This realization has made me understand how truly pathetic we are as humans, and I am right there in the same boat with everyone else. There really is no creativity left in us, we base everything on something that someone else created from years ago. Fashion is a prime example of this to me. It is inevitable that I’m going to see what’s “cool” to wear, because as Rushkoff made apparent there is no escaping it. Fashion has just become history repeating itself. I have not seen anything original for probably the entire span of my life. Everything is based on what someone designed years back, they tweak it of course, but it is really just the same. I think that we are so reliant on what someone else is telling us to do that we forget to even think for ourselves. It is sad, but again, we would be lost sheep without the media’s direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment