Wednesday, August 29, 2012

#4: Politics? It's all foreign policy to me.


When it comes to politics I have no idea what I even think. I mean, I do understand what I think is right and what is wrong. Honestly though, I couldn’t even tell you what Obama and Romney our two “headliners” for this election stand for. For the most part I do know what I believe is right and wrong and I understand some of the morals and thoughts my parents tried to instill in me.
            As a starting point for me to further understand what label I should put on my political views I took a “Political Compass Test”. This test told me that I was a moderate left libertarian and until I talked to my mother about this I really had no idea what that even stood for. After telling my mother what I scored the first thing she said was “I must have not raised you right.” From this I automatically knew it wasn’t the beliefs that she had tried to rub off on me as I was growing up. Coming from a very conservative family (except for my father) I knew it was automatically a disappointment to hear that I wasn’t following the family tradition. I feel as though I have a much more worldly view than my family.
            This is what I do believe (for the most part I do think these ideals tend to be politically associated). Gay marriage should be legal; I don’t think it’s any of the governments business to say who we can and cannot marry. Yes I understand that originally and traditionally marriage was a biblical commitment between a man and women before God. Now I think it is become more of a statement saying that two people are committed to each other and sometimes they get a tax break for it. But being a “free” nation means getting to marry whoever you want to, I do not think that anyone should be able to deny you that right.
            Abortion, this one I’m not too sure on myself. Again, I do not think it is the governments right to tell you whether or not you keep your unborn child. If you do not want it then by all means, don’t. But I definitely think that if your life is not directly affected by having a child, but you do not want to keep it then adoption is definitely an answer. Though who am I to tell people what to do with their lives?
            Overall I think that this country would work a lot better if we just let people have their own beliefs and practice them as they will as long as it is not hurting anyone. I do not understand why we have to constantly tell people that what they think is wrong. Let the people be free just don’t hurt people or kill the world we live in. This may be a very brief summary and practically shallow summary of what I think politically, but as I said, I have never really looked into the world of politics. Though diving deeper into the subject is now something that is on my mind. I would like to know where I stand with the thoughts of the people running this country. I had best educate myself quick before this next election. 

No comments:

Post a Comment